Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Motorcycle Diaries: Day 7

July 22: Shenandoah National Park, VA to Home, Raleigh, NC



miles: 278
time: 8 hours



The final day of my trip was mostly about getting home. I did extend the trip a bit by riding to the southern end of Shenandoah rather than split off early. I didn't spend much time in Charlottesville, VA because it was too early for lunch and nothing really peaked my curiosity. I probably should have ventured a little more around the downtown but I was preoccupied with the impending end to my trip.

I did take some time to visit Clarksville, VA. Tom mentioned it was one of his favorite little towns, probably a good place to retire. It was nice but the only place I really stopped was the Subway sandwich place.

I have a bit of a quandary about eating when I'm riding. I am a little road worn, at least after the first few days of the trip. The laundry I have on hand has pretty much been washed in a bucket or as best I can. There are inevitably bugs stuck to me somewhere. So based on my appearance I don't feel like sullying the reputation of a nice restaurant. Not to mention the reservations I have about eating out alone (I'm not ashamed to say it is uncomfortable to eat alone, I have talked to plenty of people who feel the same way). On the other hand I'm travelling on a bike that bounces and jostles and there can be a few miles between appropriate rest facilities so I try to be careful not to eat anything too greasy as fast and diner food can be. I also try to outlaw fast-food because it is just too easy, it would be easy to fall into eating that for 3 meals a day when out on the road. That leaves me with some limited options. Anybody have any ideas on this? Should I just man-up and eat wherever I want? It might be one of those things that gets easier with practice.

So my trip has ended and that is a little sad. Time to unload my bike and move on, start thinking about my next adventure. But I have a bunch of things that come with me. I don't buy souvenirs when I go on trips because they are silly trinkets, just distractions to the things I really take with me.

No comments: