Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Motorcycle Diaries: Day 6

July 21: Ricketts Glen State Park, PA to Big Meadows Campground, Shenandoah National Park, VA

miles: 326
time: 8 hours, 30 minutes
So this is my final night of camping for the trip. My camera box is going to serve as my food pantry because it is the best security against bears that I have on the bike. Speaking of bears I saw three today. First, a mom and a cub scurrying across the road up ahead. They looked like shadows crossing the road, just completely black and furry. The next one I came upon coming around a corner. He was pretty big. He took a good look at me and spun around to hop back into the woods.
Today's driving was all about getting to Shenandoah with enough time to take it easy on Skyline Drive. I must have stopped ten times to take pictures and mark the spots on the GPS where I saw the bears.
I did stop at a Turkey Hill to gas up. When I went inside for a sandwich I heard a song a friend of mine liked a long time ago. Made me miss her. Song, Hanson: Penny & Me.
Nice and chilly up here in the mountains, I should sleep well again. I'm thinking about riding all the way down to Rockfish Gap, Route 64 and backtrack into Charlottesville, VA instead of cutting off of Skyline short at 33. I think I have plenty of time even if I stop in Charlottesville, VA and Clarkville, VA for lunch. I don't really need to get in early as I'm just going home. Plus I'm not expected at work until Tuesday.

No comments: