Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Equipment

I'll try to talk about the equipment I use on the trip and how well it works (or doesn't) as I go along. Most of the gear I'm bringing I'm pretty familiar with and have used many times before. One item that is new and I hope not to have to use is bear spray. When I first described it to some friends they assumed it was like bug spray, spray it on yourself and the bears stay away :-) While you may use it like that once I doubt you'd buy it ever again. Think of it more like bear strength pepper spray.

The product I have has a range of 30 feet and emties in 5 seconds. 30 feet with a charging bear isn't far so it really is for close contact situations. From my time in Alaska last year I learned a bit about what to expect when a bear attacks. In most cases the charge is a bluff so its best to stay calm but I know I'll feel better having a backup plan too, specially since most of my hiking will be alone this time.

(I also wanted to see how well pictures work from my phone to the blog)


No comments: