Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 2: NP d'Oka to Sudbury, ON via Ottowa

Well I made it through the night! To/ clarify, the big thunderstorm was last night, Tuesday night. One thing the mobile blog app I'm using doesn't do is allow me to set the date. I wrote the post last night but didn't get internet until tonight.

Anyway, tonight I'm in Sudbury, Ontario. It was mentioned in the movie "One Week", with Joshua Jackson. Great movie and though not an inspiration for my trip, it was a catalyst.

Today started pretty poorly. I woke up and all my stuff was wet. Or wet and muddy. So I went back to sleep. In my dreams I hoped the sun would come out and make everything dry and warm but the sun only peeked out so I finally roused myself and got to the task of packing wet and muddy gear. One big mistake, I didn't take enough care keeping my gloves and helmet off the tent floor so they were really wet. Fun. My other critical gear I had better about protecting so all in all I wasn't bad off after a drenching night.

So a late start but I got to the ferry between Oka and Hudson a few minutes before departure. That was a fun ride and beautiful conditions. It was recommended and I'll second it. The ride through Ottowa was beautiful too. Did I mention all the wind I was fighting yesterday? I wasn't sure if it was abnormal so I didn't want to complain but it was abnormal, I found a bunch of limbs and leaves down in Oka. Anyway, today was much less wind so easier miles.

It was a cooler day, in the 60s mostly and threatening freezing overnight. That plus I pushed myself to get all the way to Sudbury rather than stop early to find camping has me at a Comfort hotel tonight and I will say, it is a comfort.

Tomorrow I head toward Sault Saint Marie and Lake Superior. I won't make it all the way to Thunder Bay tomorrow but I'll be headed in that direction. Thunder Bay holds an interesting decision- continue west towards Banff or cut south and call it a Great Lakes loop? Winnipeg will be the next and last such decision point. After doing 400 miles today I'm glad to have made the miles but my back is achy and started twinging while I was riding. So that, the cold temps this evening, and some personal things have me doubting my commitment to making it all the way this time. I just want to voice these doubts because they do pop up for me in trips like this- it happens and I like to be truthful in these accounts. Hey, half of Charlie and Ewan's discussions are about giving up :-) (Long Way Round is another excelent view for people interested in adventure travel).

For now, good night. I'll pick up again when I find more internet.

Oh, something I forgot to mention... I drove over the Mississippi River today! First time ever. Turns out, in Canada they keep it much further east so it's easier.



No comments: