Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 1: Maynard, MA to Oka, QC via Montreal, QC

Well, I'm in Canada! Montreal was... well it's a big city with lots ofx traffic, what can I say? If I had a couple days to appreciate it I'd probably find some things to love but to spend an hour wasn't worth the trouble. I will say, like any big city with miles of standstill traffic I really had to fight for my space in traffic but was it my imagination, given the circumstances people seemed more polite? There was no honking, no revving of engines.  It was 3:30 gridlock in the city but nobody really seemed angry. Did I mention it was pouring? So I gave up on finding a late lunch and instead pressed on to National Parc d'Oka. Beautiful place. I had to find the beach to register for camping which I eventually did, my french is horrible, and saw some people kite-boarding- something I'll have to try one of these days.

For now I'm enjoying souvlaki in a pita at the one place I found open in Oka. Might try for a campfire tonight, it's getting pretty dark out.

Later...
Well, no campfire tonight. Before I could leave the restaurant it started coming down, hard. This is not the night to be camping. Thunder, lightning, heavy rain. Everything is pretty soaked. At least I had the tent up and it's stopping 90% of the rain. Wow, it must be right over me now, instant lightning/thunder in every direction. I'm going to try to stay as dry as I can and hope it passes soon, have a good night everybody.



No comments: