Thursday, September 01, 2011

Inception

I've been thinking about Glacier National Park for a few years. I saw a program about the park probably 5 years ago and as is standard I got excited and wanted to go. Between changes of geography and changes of job the idea was put on the back burner but I never lost the desire, what I really needed was the time.
This year things changed. After 10 years with IBM I earned myself an extra week of vacation. That extra week made it possible to make it out to Glacier. So I took out my trusty (google) map and started playing around with routes. After some initial playing with possible routes I noticed a string of parks up above Glacier. Banff. Now my imagination was taking off. I've been to the travelling Banff Mountain Film Festival a few times, once in Colorado while I was visiting a while ago and two years ago in Sommerville. Could I fit a loop up through Canada on my journey? I decided I could.
So far this is the general route: Boston, Montreal, Ottowa, Sault Ste Marie (Ron Francis birthplace!), Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper, Banff, Calgary?, Glacier NP, Grand Teton NP, Billings, Badlands NP, Sioux Falls, Cheboygan, Flint, London ON, Ithaca, Boston!
I'll post the prospective route soon. Expected departure Sept. 12th!
Also note this is my first time posting to the blog from Android. It seems OK but I expect I'll still keep a written journal- post quick updates here and FB when I can and go back to update with details later.
More soon...

No comments: